Stop It! is for anyone interested in youth violence prevention. It is a practical research based
guide for caregivers and service providers. The goal is to make prevention easier, and more
Table of Contents
1. Working Together for community Safety 1 A clear approach for collaboration offers a structured and unified response to violence.
2. Growing Up Physically, Emotionally, and Sexually Healthy A guide for primary prevention helps everyone know how to best prevent youth violence. And, yes, sex is mentioned!
3. The Facts, ma’am, Just the Facts: research That Informs Services A research summary shows what works for youth violence prevention.
Section Two: How to Stop It
4. connecting with Kids and Families Compelling evidence shows how respectful interaction makes it easier to prevent youth violence.
5. Assessing Family Strengths and needs Evaluations and assessment clarify strengths that can prevent violence, identify risks to overcome, and provide a map for getting there.
6. Working Toward Success A guide for secondary and tertiary prevention provides a framework for treatment and other services.
7. Stopping Violence for Good Practical application of research promotes long-term change and successful transition into adulthood.
Section Three: Other Important Things
8. everyone’s not the Same! Addressing Uniqueness in Families
Human differences require more than lip service to achieve individualized interventions.
9. When All else Fails … Out of Home Placement
Removing a child from home is fraught with peril.
10. celebrating Ourselves!
Self-care helps caregivers and service providers stay up for the challenge.